There is a rising demand for foreign workers in Vietnam due to the burgeoning economy in the country, as well as the lack of quality talent and increasing foreign investments. For companies to hire foreign employees in Vietnam, they must apply for a Vietnam work permit following the Vietnamese law and legislation.
Difference between a Vietnam Work Permit and a Temporary Residence Card
Foreigners often confuse a temporary residence card (TRC) and a work permit.
A TRC enables foreigners to stay in Vietnam for a longer time to work, study, do business or conduct research.
With TRC, foreigners will not be deported from the country as long as the TRC is still valid.
Furthermore, foreign nationals can enter and leave Vietnam multiple times without having to apply for a visa renewal or extension.
As for a Vietnam work permit, it permits foreigners to be employed, work and perform business activities that can bring in income and profits.
A Vietnam work permit is valid for 12 months and is only allowed to be renewed once.
Requirements for Vietnam Work Permit and TRC
Foreigners must meet the following criteria to be able to apply:
- At least 18 years old
- Must have required technical skills and professional qualifications
- Fit to work, mentally and physically
- Do not have previous criminal records or activities
- For foreigners hired in Vietnam’s pharmaceutical sector, private medical sectors, or sector relevant to direct disease examination or treatment, must comply with regulations set out according to pharmaceutical and private medical practices
Temporary Residence Card
Foreign nationals can apply for a TRC when they fulfill one of the following requirements:
- An owner of a limited liability company with only one person
- A member of a limited liability company with two members or more
- A student, professional or trainee in authorized programs by the government
- A registered lawyer authorised for law practice in Vietnam
- A family member of a Vietnamese national
- A foreigner with work permit in a foreign company
Updates on Vietnam Work Permit and TRC
Below are some latest updates on that all foreign companies and individuals should pay attention to:
1. Small investors are not eligible for TRC anymore
Now, each foreign individual must invest more than VND3 billion in a company to be eligible for a TRC.
For even large investments, foreigners will get a TRC for up to 10 years.
However, for those who do not fulfill the minimum capital investment, they will only be able to apply for a DT4 business visa with a maximum validity of one year.
2. Foreign corporate investors can have an individual representative in Vietnam to receive a TRC or visa
Under the new permit and visa laws, a representative of the corporate investor is allowed to receive the TRC or business visa for up to 10 years.
3. Vietnam’s work permit is now exempted for foreigners having a legal Vietnamese spouse
This last update is still relatively new and unfamiliar, and further regulations on the exemption are yet to be finalised and implemented.
How Cekindo Can Assist with Visa and Work Permit Application in Vietnam
Cekindo, a licensed business consultant, offers Vietnam work permit and visa application services to assist employers intending to apply for a work permit for their foreign employees, especially enterprises that are newly set up and registered in Vietnam.
We have a team with substantial years of Vietnamese immigration experience who can advise you with the right immigration solution and preparation steps. We want to make sure that you save time and effort during the application process by using our services.
Liaise with one of our dedicated specialists to apply for your Vietnam work permit. Fill in the form below.