Updates on Vietnam’s Work Permit and Temporary Residence Card

Regulations on Vietnam's work permit and residence card may change from time to time. Here are the 2021 updates you must know.

As Vietnam’s economy grows, the demand for foreign workers has also grown due to the lack of local qualified workers and an increasing number of foreign businesses setting up here. As more and more foreign workers enter the country, businesses must be cognizant of the regulations related to the acquisition of work permit before singing an official labor contract with them and Temporary Residence Cards in Vietnam.

Find Out About Cekindo’s Temporary Residence Card (TRC) Services

Difference between a Vietnam Work Permit and a Temporary Residence Card

A Temporary Residence Card (TRC) and a work permit are commonly confused by foreigners.

A TRC enables foreigners to stay in Vietnam legally for a longer time than their visa, to work, study, do business or conduct research depending on what kinds of visa they are holding (visa purpose). With TRC, foreigners will not be deported from the country as long as the TRC is still valid and with an appropriate purpose. Furthermore, foreign nationals the TRC holders can enter and leave Vietnam multiple times without having to apply for a visa renewal or extension.

As for a Vietnam work permit, it permits foreigners to be employed, work and perform business activities that can bring in income and profits. A Vietnam work permit is valid for up to 24 months and is only allowed to be renewed once.

Work Permit

To apply, foreigners must satisfy the following requirements:

  • At least 18 years old
  • Must have required technical skills and professional qualifications
  • Fit to work, mentally and physically
  • Do not have previous criminal records or activities
  • For foreigners hired in Vietnam’s pharmaceutical sector, private medical sectors, or sector relevant to direct disease examination or treatment, must comply with regulations set out according to pharmaceutical and private medical practices

RELATED: Vietnam Visa Application Updates for 2021

Temporary Residence Card

Foreign nationals who meet one of the following criteria can apply for a TRC:

  • An owner of an at least 03 billion capital limited liability company with only one person
  • A member of a limited liability company with two members or more and such member must contribute at least 03 billion 
  • A foreign student or intern 
  • People who come in Vietnam to work with certain Vietnamese authorities
  • A registered lawyer authorised for law practice in Vietnam
  • A family member of a Vietnamese national
  • A foreigner with work permit/exemption of work permit in a company
  • A Head of representative offices or projects of international organizations and foreign non-governmental organizations in Vietnam;
  • Heads of representative offices, branches of foreign traders, representative offices of other foreign economic, cultural, professional organizations in Vietnam
  • Journalists who have permanent residences in Vietnam
  • Foreigners who are members of diplomatic missions, consular missions, representative offices of international organizations affiliated to United Nation, intergovernmental organizations in Vietnam and spouses, children under 18 years of age and helpers accompanying on missions

Updates on the Vietnam Work Permit and TRC

The following are some of the most recent developments that all overseas firms and people should be aware of:

1. Foreign Investor? TRC is no longer available for small investors

Now, each foreign individual must invest more than at least VND3 billion in a company to be eligible for a TRC.

For even large investments, foreigners will get a TRC for up to 10 years.

However, for those who do not fulfill the minimum capital investment for a TRC, they will only be able to apply for a DT4 investor visa with a maximum validity of one year.

2. To get a TRC or a visa, foreign business investors might have an individual representative in Vietnam

Under the new permit and visa laws, a representative of the corporate investor in the Vietnamese company (named on the Investment Registration Certificate) is probably allowed to receive the TRC or investor visa for up to 10 years.

3. Foreigners with a legitimate Vietnamese spouse are no longer required to get a work visa in Vietnam

This most recent change is still new, and more exception rules regarding this law are yet to be approved and applied.

Related: Vietnam’s Temporary Residence Card Application 

How Cekindo Can Assist with Visa and Work Permit Application in Vietnam

Cekindo, a licensed business consultant, offers Vietnam work permit and visa application services to assist employers intending to apply for a work permit for their foreign employees, especially enterprises that are newly set up and registered in Vietnam.

We have a team with substantial years of Vietnamese immigration experience who can advise you with the right immigration solution and preparation steps. We want to make sure that you save time and effort during the application process by using our services.

Liaise with one of our dedicated specialists to apply for your Vietnam work permit. Fill in the form below.

Contact Our Consultant

Tomas Svoboda - Cekindo - Vietnam Country Manager

Verified by:​

Ing. Tomas Svoboda

Tomas is the co-founder & Chief Business Development Officer responsible for Vietnam. His role is to define the key potential of the Vietnamese market and to ensure that Incorp's branch in Vietnam provides its clients with smooth and hassle-free market entry solutions.